MPLS VPN Components:
Today I will discuss about MPLS VPN Components. It is same as MP-BGP Components. only extra Label component are added with MPLS VPN Components. [boxads]
- RD: Route Distinguisher
- VPNv4 routes
- RT: Route Target
- To convert an IPv4 address into a VPNv4 address, RD is appended to the IPv4 address i.e 1:1:10.1.1.0 Makes the customer’s IPv4 route globally unique.
- Each VRF must be configured with an RD at the PE. RD is what that defines the VRF [adsense]
ip vrf v1
- Route-target (RT): Identifies the VRF for the received VPNv4 prefix. It is an 8-byte extended Community (a BGP attribute).
- Each VRF is configured with RT(s) at the PE. RT helps to color the prefix.
ip vrf v1
route-target import 1:1
route-target export 1:2
- The Label (for the VPNv4 prefix) is assigned only by the PE whose address is the Next-Hop attribute, PE routers re-write the Next-Hop with their own address (loopback). “Next-Hop-Self” towards MP-iBGP neighbors by default.
- PE addresses used as BGP Next-Hop must be uniquely known in the backbone IGP
DO NOT summarize the PE loopback addresses in the core